PROGRESSIVE BRAKING TECHNIQUE
Aim to make all braking manoeuvres in plenty of time. Foot pressure on the pedal should be progressive and increased steadily.
- A – Gently take up the initial free movement of the brake pedal.
- B – Increase the pressure smoothly until the required speed is lost.
- C – Relax the pedal pressure as the speed is lost. Release it just before stopping to prevent jerking.
When coming to a stop in traffic, you should be able to see the bottom of the rear tyres of the vehicle directly in front of you.
This will give you the advantages of:
- Room to manoeuvre if the vehicle in front should stall, roll back or have any other problems.
- Space to pull forward if a following vehicle is approaching the stationary traffic too fast.
© 2015 – 2020, CyprusDriving. All rights reserved.