Get the Right Gear!
You should aim to:
- Be in the correct gear for every road speed and traffic situation.
- Make all gear changes smoothly.
- Engage a chosen gear without going through an intermediate gear first. (Referred to as Block Changing)
- Know the approximate maximum road speed for each gear of the vehicle.
These key points will help you to make skillful use of the gears:
- Co-ordination of hand and foot movements.
- Recognize when to change gear by the sound of the engine.
- Choose the right gear for the road speed.
- Use the brakes rather than engine compression to slow the vehicle (except during hill descents and when there is a risk of skidding).
- Brake in good time to slow to the right road speed as you approach a hazard, and then select the appropriate gear.
- Match engine speed to road speed before you change down.
Choose your gear with care!