Vehicle Insurance

Insurance Certificate

All motor vehicles being driven on the road in Cyprus must be insured for third party risks as a minimum. Motor vehicles towing trailers must have extra insurance.


It is possible to obtain the added protection for fire and theft or fully comprehensive insurance. Breakdown cover is often included.

As in the UK there are differences in cost and cover between companies. I suggest you get at least a couple of quotes.

Because you have comprehensive insurance do not assume you are are able to drive another vehicle not owned by you. This often not the case in Cyprus.
Read the conditions of your policy.


If you intend to tow a trailer of any sort your insurance must specify on the certificate that you are insured to tow a trailer.
Trailers in Cyprus must be registered.


Insurance companies will normally only cover third party risks, although it is sometimes possible to obtain comprehensive insurance if you are a good risk, for example if you have advanced riding qualifications.

Car or Motorcycle Test.

If you intend to take a driving or riding test in a non driving school vehicle, special insurance is required. This is an extra insurance which specifically covers your use of the vehicle on the day of the test and for the purpose of taking the driving test.

Rejected Risks – Motor Insurers’ Fund (MIF)

Any driver, who applies for insurance and is rejected by three Insurance Companies, may apply to the Motor Insurers’ Fund by submitting certificates of rejection from those Companies.

The MIF will then forward the application to all insurance companies, which will decide whether they are willing to consider the issue of insurance cover. Insurance companies have an obligation to respond positively or negatively, within 48 hours of receipt of the request, by e-mail.

If the MIF receives one or more positive responses, it will refer the applicant to the companies that responded positively. Otherwise, the applicant will be referred to the “Cyprus Hire & Rejected Risks Pool”, certified by the MIF as a “Rejected Risk”.

Details can be found at the Motor Insurers’ Fund website.

The MIF will, under specific circumstances, also covers uninsured vehicles, unidentified vehicles and vehicles insured with insurance companies which are under liquidation.

Car Hire and Motorcycle Rental

Driving licence

Most driving licences are valid for visitors to Cyprus. For information on driving licences check the driving licence section of this site.

If you hold a UK driving licence you may be required to obtain a code which gives the hire company access to your driving record. It can be obtained here. The code is valid for 21 days.

Drivers Ages

Most hire companies will hire cars to drivers between the ages of 25 to 75 years without any problem.

If you are younger than 25 you have to have held a full licence for 3 years.

If you are over 70 there is not usually a problem  but some companies may not agree to hire you a car until they have met you personally in order to assess any possible incapability.


Some hire companies on the South of the Island will not allow you to take the vehicle over into the Northern (TRNC – Turkish) side. If you wish to cross the border make sure that the company specifically allows this.
Most companies exclude off road use.


Hire cars usually operate the system of handing the vehicle over to you with an empty fuel tank, so you return it empty. This can lead to problems if you are not careful. This practice is slowly changing to the system of returning the vehicle with the tank full.

Red Plates

Hire cars display a red registration plate.
Be aware that the drivers of these vehicles will often not be conversant with local conditions.

Cyprus Provisional / Learner / Student Driving Licence

You should read this page in conjunction with the main Cyprus driving licence page.

Leaner licences issued in Cyprus are paper and only valid in the Republic of Cyprus.

Are you old enough to drive in Cyprus?

Check the drivers minimum ages page of the site.

Residents: How to apply for a Cyprus provisional driving licence:

To obtain a licence to enable you to learn to drive, application has to be made in person at the Department of Transport (DoRT) with the documents shown below.

You have to pass eyesight and theory tests before a provisional driving licence will be issued. You may be able to take this test immediately or make an appointment with the examiner to return at a more suitable time.

The test is verbal, in Greek or English, on traffic signs and the Highway Code.
The fee is €10.

Return to the front office with the pass document and the documents and fee listed below to be issued with the provisional licence.

Documents required to obtain a Cyprus learner / student Driving Licence:

A completed T.O.M. 7 application form only available in Greek.
The form is is available and an English translation of the main headings can be downloaded here.

  1. Two passport style photographs 40×35
  2. Residents Permit
  3. Produce evidence that you have been resident in Cyprus for six months eg. utility bill. If you don’t have this, or similar proof, you will need to attend the office to find out what might be acceptable in your case.
  4. Passport and copy of the page containing the holders information
  5. The appropriate fee
  6. The verbal theory test pass slip

The cost of a learner / student driving licence is € 20 and is valid for one year.

The earliest a driving licence can be renewed is one month before the expiry of the old one.

Category A1 – Learner riders do not have to be accompanied by a full licence holder.
Learner licence holders aged 17.5.

Category B (car) and B + E (car + trailer) – Learner licence holders aged 17.5 must be accompanied by an experienced driver aged 30 and upwards who has held a full driving licence for the class of vehicle for no less than five years.
An Authorized Driving Instructor.

A rider in the above classes cannot take the driving or riding test until they are 18 years of age and have held a licence for 21 days or more.

Learner licence holders aged 18 or over must be accompanied by a person aged at least 25 with a minimum five years driving experience.
An Authorized Driving Instructor.

Learner licence holders must display E Plates on the front and rear of the vehicle.
This replaces the old plate although these can still be found.

Provisional / learner / student licence holders are not permitted to drive on the highway unless they are accompanied by a Cyprus Authorized Driving Instructor or taking part in a driving test.

Valid EU provisional / learner / student licences

EU provisional / learner / student licences are valid, as are those licences listed below, and can be used to drive and book a test providing you are old enough to drive in Cyprus and you are accompanied as outlined on this page.

Valid provisional / learner / student licences from outside the EU

Article 20 of the Driving License Laws of 2001 and 2004, recognizes driver’s licences or learner’s licences issued by a competent authority of the country included in the table below:

You must exchange your National driving licence for a Cyprus licence if you are a resident and have lived in Cyprus for six months.

New Zealand
South Africa
South Korea
United Arab Emirates

Motorcycle Driving Licence

Motorcycle Driving Licence

Only Cyprus residents who can prove they have lived in the country for six months are eligible to apply for a Cyprus Driving Licence or take any Cyprus Driving Test. This is to comply with EU directives.

The current driving licence requirements for motorcycles came into force in the 19th January 2013. Law 79(I)/2012.

The EU Commission is aware that there are a number of anomalies in the way the EU Directive has been transcribed into Cyprus law and is carrying out an in depth analysis of the Cyprus legislation. The Commission has stated that it will take the necessary steps to ensure that the Cypriot legislation fully and correctly transposes Directive 2006/126/EC.

The entry level for motorcycle licences is now category A1. A rider must pass the riding test for Class A1 motorcycles before progressing to larger motorcycles.

Catagory AM – Moped – 2-wheel vehicles or 3-wheel vehicles with a maximum design speed of over 25km/h and not more than 45km/h.
Light quadricycle With an unladen mass of not more than 350kg, not including the mass of the batteries in the case of electric vehicles, whose maximum design speed is over 25km/h and not more than 45km/h.

Minimum Age 17

Catagory A1 – Small Motorcycles – A motorcycle with a cylinder capacity not exceeding 125, of a power not exceeding 11kW and with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.1kW per kg.

Minimum Age 18 – (17.5 learner licence)

Catagory A1 – A motor tricycle with a power not exceeding 15kW. and maximum cylinder of 125cc / power 11Kw

Minimum Age 18

Catagory A2 – A Medium motorcycle of a power not exceeding 35kW, with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2kW per kg and not derived from a vehicle of more than double its power.

Minimum Age 20(1) Providing held a full A1 licence for 2 years

Catagory A – A motorcycle of a power exceeding 35kW or with a power to weight ratio exceeding 0.2kW per kg, or A motorcycle of a power not exceeding 35kW with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.2kW per kg and derived from a vehicle of more than double its power.

Minimum Age 24 or 22(2) Providing held a full A2 licence for 2 years

Catagory A – A motor tricycle with a power exceeding 15kW.

Minimum Age 24

(1) Progressive access to category A2 is permitted provided that the applicant has held a full licence for driving motorcycle category A1 for at least two years.

(2) Progressive access to category A is permitted provided that the applicant has held a full licence for driving motorcycle category A2 for at least two years and has completed seven (7) hours relevant training.

(3) Direct Access to Group A (example 1).

  1. After age 18 but prior to age 24
  2. pass a riding test on a class A1 motorcycle
  3. obtain a full licence for that group.
  1. At age 24
  2. complete 7 hours compulsory training and obtain the certificate of attendance
  3. apply for learner licence for class A
  4. apply for the test. (21 days must elapse before the test can be taken).

(3) Direct Access to Group A (example 2).

  1. At age 24
  2. Apply for a learner licence for a class A1 motorcycle
  3. apply for the test. (21 days must elapse before the test can be taken).
  4. pass a riding test on a class A1 motorcycle
  5. obtain a full licence for that group.
  6. complete 7 hours compulsory training and obtain the certificate of attendance
  7. apply for learner licence for class A
  8. apply for the test. (21 days must elapse before the test can be taken).

Note: Learner licences for class A2 and A only permit the rider to ride off road on private property for training and for the purpose of riding on road for the test only.

Seven hours relevant motorcycle training is required to ride class A motorcycles

The seven (7) hours training takes place in private or specially adapted rooms and is documented and presented before the practical test. A special form is completed monitoring the seven units from a licenced category A instructor. The content of the education is established by Order of the Registrar of Motor Vehicle PI 492/2012 which was published on 30.11.2012 in The Cyprus Gazette. This training does not include on road training.

As far as we have been able to ascertain there very few instructors that carry out the training as required.
Some of you may be happy to pay your money and get the certificate without gaining the knowledge required.
You may change your mind when an untrained motorcyclist kills a member of your family!

To obtain a full motorcycle licence the applicant must pass a practical test of skills and behaviour.

Opinion:- The test is totally inadequate for current road and traffic conditions and cannot be described as a test of skills and behaviour.

The Department of Transport has to date failed to ensure that the training is carried out to the required standard and that the test is suitable for today’s traffic conditions. Until the matter is addressed the death toll amongst motorcyclists will continue to rise. I

Holders of learner driving licences issued before 19.1.2013

All holders of such licences may NOT ride motorcycles or tricycles in categories A and A2. They may only ride motorcycles or tricycles within Categories A1 and mopeds of category AM.

Moped driving on the highway is not permitted.

Motor scooters:

Are either motorcycles or mopeds depending on their engine size and specification.

UK Motorcycle Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) has no validity in Cyprus.

There is no similar training requirement to obtain a motorcycle licence in Cyprus.
A CBT pass does not entitle you to exchange your UK motorcycle licence for a full Cyprus one.

Driving Licences

More information on Driving Licences, how to apply and validity etc., can be read on the Cyprus Driving Licence page.

Directive 2006/126/EEC in effect since 19 January 2013. Download here in English. in Ελληνικά.

EU Directive 2012/36/EU that amends Directive 2006/126/EEC above. Download here in English and